Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Of course I got back from Buenos Aires with a few CDs that I'm feeling right now.

The best thing I found : "Echalle Semilla" by Axel Krygier.

Hard to classify. A very mixed, lovely, personal sounding album.

Starts with a couple of beautiful, melodic loungey pieces with organ and whistling. (See if you can find "Silbad el calipso" online)

Then moves into slightly jazzier / funkier territory. Some jazz elements. Some breakbeats. Some salsa and tango. Then suddenly he's just playing with the sampler, triggering loops of speech and children laughing etc. After that, there's songs that sound they were recorded in the back of the taxi and other stuff.

Reminds me a bit of Pascal Comelade, not the sound, but the mood.

Highly recommended.

Also of note :

Electronic Tango. Yep, I know, I know. But it looks like it's not just French carpetbaggers. There are real locals doing this stuff. Went to a night of it as part of the B.A. tango festival, which was pretty enjoyable.

Particularly pleasant : "Tanghetto". On first aquaintance it's fairly ordinary, but it grows. I'm finding myself listening to it continuously while I'm working. Also good : "Narcotango" and "Evolution Tango". Has it's moments : "San Telmo Lounge".

"Landing" by Tremor is a very nice electronica album with low-key hints of folkloric instruments and melodies. Mainly ambient tinkling, rhythms and interesting sounds. Not quite sure what to compare it with. It's surprisingly good example of this kind of thing.

No comments: